Complete the form below to join the waiting list for our next online course.
Who is this course for?
This course can be taken without any previous BSL experience at any level and allows learners to gain basic skills and confidence in the two areas of production and reception of BSL.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- understand and use a limited range of simple words and sentences in BSL
- take part in simple, everyday conversations in BSL
- give and follow simple directions or instructions in BSL
- give and follow simple familiar statements or descriptions in BSL.
This course is designed to teach you to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL) on a range of topics that involve simple, everyday language use. You will gain basic skills and confidence in the production and reception of BSL.
You and your classmates will be taught the Level 1 BSL 101 criteria, designed using the UK Occupational Language Standards 2010. You will have the choice to opt-in for the final assessments in order to gain the BSL 101 Unit Qualification in British Sign Language. This qualification is accredited by Signature, the leading awarding body for deaf communication qualifications in the UK
The Introduction to British Sign Language Course is suitable for those who:
- want to learn basic language skills to communicate simple conversations with Deaf people
- want to learn new language skills as part of a programme of study
- want to progress to more advanced study and/or employment using BSL in the future
- are studying for personal development
- are parents, family, friends or colleagues of Deaf people.
On completion of the Introduction to BSL Course, a wide range of further qualifications are available, including:
- Signature Level 1 Award in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language.
Who teaches this course?
To ensure you get the best learning experience, these courses are taught by experienced tutors whose native language is BSL.
We believe using a voice-off method during sessions gives learners a fully-immersive experience and can accelerate learning BSL! We also appreciate that allowing time for learners to ask for clarification in English can be beneficial and can improve understanding so you’ll have support in English too.
If you have any questions about this course, we’d love to hear from you!